Jussie Smollett Being Investigated As New Reports Emerge That He Orchestrated His Own Attack

Jussie Smollett Being Investigated As New Reports Emerge That He Orchestrated His Own Attack

The investigation into the assault on Empire actor Jussie Smollett took another twist on Saturday night. Chicago police apparently now believe Smollett paid two men to stage the attack, according to CNN. Reached for comment about the report, a Chicago police spokesman would only confirm that “the information received from the individuals questioned by police earlier in the Empire case has in fact shifted the trajectory of the investigation.” He added that police have “reached out to the Empire cast member’s attorney to request a follow-up interview.”

On Friday, news broke that two brothers were arrested in connection with the attack, one of whom worked on Empire. Chicago’s ABC7 had reported on Thursday that the police believed Smollett staged his attack because he was being written off the show, but police later denied they were treating Smollett as a suspect, and 20th Century Fox denied that Smollett was being written off.

According to Deadline, the two men, Olabinjo and Abimbola Osundairo, were released at 9 p.m. on Friday after being held for 48 hours. A law enforcement source also told the publication that “the new direction of the investigation is now based on the premise that Mr. Smollett was an active participant in the incident.”

Police have also reportedly gotten a lead on where the brothers purchased the rope used as a makeshift noose around Smollett’s neck.

Smollett went on Good Morning America on Thursday, detailing the attack and expressing frustration that people did not believe his story. “At first, it was a thing of, like, ‘Listen, if I tell the truth, then that’s it. Because it’s the truth,’” he said. “Then it became a thing of, like, ‘Oh, it’s not necessarily that you don’t believe that this is the truth, you don’t even want to see the truth.’” Smollett has hired three attorneys: Chicago criminal defense attorneys Victor P. Henderson and Todd Pugh, and Michael Monico — Michael Cohen’s defense attorney. Monico confirmed his retention by Smollett on The Roe Conn Show, but would not say in what capacity.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Previous Actor James Woods posts transphobic tweet and the Dictionary schools him on that
Next Dear KD: I Need HELP To Start Bottoming Again

About author

You might also like

The Happenings 7 Comments

Downton Abbey star Rob James-Collier says playing gay role hurt his career

Actor Rob James-Collier claims playing a gay butler on Downton Abbey has led to being typecast in Hollywood. While the 41-year-old was a fan favorite for his portrayal of the

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
The Happenings 1Comments

Emeli Sande urges Commonwealth leaders to see LGBT+ people ‘as human beings’ and overturn anti-gay laws

Singer Emeli Sande has urged Commonwealth leaders to overturn anti-gay laws and “see people as human beings”. Speaking to the Commonwealth leaders that have gathered for CHOGUM (Commonwealth Heads of

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
The Happenings 26 Comments

James Bond Can Never Be Gay, Says Roger Moore

James Bond could never be gay, says former Bond actor Roger Moore. “It is not about being homophobic or, for that matter, racist, it is simply about being true to

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

8 Comments

  1. Lizzy
    February 17, 06:34 Reply

    If this entire incident na lie, this will be bad on many levels globally for LGBT community💔🥵😡

  2. trystham
    February 17, 08:42 Reply

    Nigerians??? I was gonna keep holding on to an alternate view that Jussie might be seeking attention, but seeing Nigerians are involved, I won’t hold much stock to the Chicago PD views. We kuku have a history of homophobia PLUS saying ANYTHING under duress

  3. Francis
    February 17, 08:52 Reply

    Like play like play person go commit suicide next 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

  4. AduResa
    February 17, 15:16 Reply

    I pray, I just pray this doesn’t end up invalidating people’s struggles and pains. I just pray!

  5. effkd
    February 17, 18:36 Reply

    He needs to be evaluated

  6. Cedar
    February 17, 20:15 Reply

    What nonsense and ingredient!

    I’m not buying any of these.

    Like why would he stage his own attack?

  7. Kvng1862
    February 24, 20:31 Reply

    This is pure bullshit and I don’t buy it one bit. Why would he plan his own attack like that, he has nothing to gain from it. He already has fame if that is what he is after, he also has enough money so i don’t think he can plan such a thing. Those pple who claim he paid them (those Nigerians) there is no link btw them whatsoever.
    I mean, if he wanted to stage such he will video everything to gain public sympathy which didn’t happen and he won’t be beaten to that extent. Why would i pay someone and get beaten to stupor, hanged and even poured bleach on, for the money I paid him. Come on 🙄🙄!! This is common sense. This is a big stain on Nigerians and its not going away any time soon

Leave a Reply